Vegan Mushroom Bites with Miso Stuffing
Easy to make and packed with flavor—making them the perfect appetizer for a dinner or party. You’ll savor each bite of these mushrooms.
- 24 crimini mushrooms
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup black rice (or sub wild or brown rice)
- 1 scant cup vegetable stock
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup sweet onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tsp white / shiro miso
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line with a reusable baking mat.
- Rinse the rice with a strainer.
- Bring the veggie stock to a boil in a small saucepan, then add rice. Cover and cook on low heat for 30-45 min until liquid is absorbed. Fluff rice once finished.
- Clean the mushrooms with a damp brush or cloth and cut out all of the stems (save them for the stuffing!).
- Coat the caps with olive oil and bake the mushrooms on a baking sheet WITHOUT the filling for 15 minutes, flipping it half way through.
- In a frying pan, fry the diced onions gently until translucent. Next, add in diced garlic, chopped herbs, black pepper, and ¼ tsp of salt until garlic is fragrant. Afterwards, stir in diced mushroom stems and fry until stems are cooked.
- Once mushroom caps are done baking, mix the baking juices into the miso paste. Mix diluted miso paste into the stuffing mixture before adding in lemon juice.
- Stir in rice and walnuts making sure they are evenly distributed, before filling the mushrooms.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
Let us know what you think of this recipe!