Net Zero Co. strives to push a cutting-edge waterless technology to the masses and capitalize on reducing waste rather than to reuse and recycle. Referring to the article by National Geographic Society, recycling is, unfortunately, not as efficient as it sounds. A generic term, “plastic” material is always around us and many of us subconsciously interact with it everyday. This is due to the fact that the convenience and properties of plastic is unmatched by any other materials for mundane objects. They do not break like glass, or rust while being strong; cheap to mass produce; lightweight to easily transport, and chemically resistant to strong cleaners. However, it is notable that recycling is not the first thing on the people’s minds. We observed from various articles that people put convenience as higher priority than being environmentally sensible.
“We as a society need to consider whether it’s worth trading off some convenience for a clean, healthy environment” - Roland Geyer, PhD of Environmental Science and Management at University of California
To overcome the over-reliance on plastics for our everyday tasks, we have tackled the laundry detergent project to create a cleaner that is simpler to use, more efficient with transport, zero-waste at the product's end-of-life, and to top it all off, vegan-friendly. As it may sound like an impossible feat, our Net Zero (Laundry Detergent) Strips checks all the aforementioned requirements that we put in place to meet our expectations! Learn more about Net Zero Strips here!
- Vegetable Glycerin, Starch, PVA (Polyvinyl Alcohol), Potassium Sorbate, Cocamido Propyl Betaine, Sodium Gluconate, Lauryl Dimethyl Amine Oxide, Sulfonic acids (and) C14-16-alkane hydroxy (and) C14-16-alkene, Glycereth Cocoate, Caprylyl Glucoside (and) Octyl Glucoside, Fragrance Oil Blend, Light Mineral Oil, Residual Water
- Vegetable Glycerin: A softener and efficient solvent derived from soy! It helps to lift tough stains such as mustard off from clothes.
- Starch: A biodegradability booster derived from maize (corn).
- PVA (Polyvinyl Alcohol): Biodegradable matrix.
- Potassium Sorbate: Food grade preservative to protect the strips!
- Cocamido Propyl Betaine: coconut oil based, biodegradable amphoteric surfactant (cleaning agent) and foam booster
- Sodium Gluconate: A plant-derived and food-grade, biodegradable chelating agent to keep dirt from settling back on after being lifted away from fabric.
- Lauryl Dimethyl Amine Oxide: A plant-derived, biodegradable, non-ionic surfactant (cleaning agent) and foam stabilizer
- Sulfonic acids, C14-16-alkane hydroxy and C14-16-alkene, sodium salts: biodegradable surfactant (cleaning agent). This can also be found on shampoo!
- Glycereth Cocoate: A plant-derived and food grade, biodegradable water softener.
- Caprylyl Glucoside, Octyl Glucoside: non-ionic surfactants (cleaning agents)
- Fragrance oil blend (excluded in fragrance-free version): natural essential oils and synthetic ingredients
- Light Mineral Oil: A processing aid in manufacturing. (inactive ingredient)
- Residual Water (from manufacturing)
- Net Zero Strips are palm oil free & gluten free
- ※ PVA is not a petroleum based product. It starts off as an ethylene (natural gaseous hormone given off by plants that causes the fruit to ripen) and turned into vinyl acetate through a chemical reaction with oxygen and acetic acid (also known as vinegar in diluted form). It is polymerized (bonded to form repeating molecules), and then dissolved in alcohol to become a water-soluble polymer.
- PVA and starch are what gives us the paper-like carrier matrix. Same material is used on various laundry sheets and pods as an outer case (which dissolves in water) and biodegradable with no adverse eco impacts.
- Our product with PVA is certified biodegradable.