Sustainable Summer Activities to Enjoy
If you are trying to go greener, thinking about the activities you engage in is key. Here are some sustainable activities to enjoy:
Sustainable Activities to Enjoy Indoors
- Cook and eat a locally sourced, seasonal, organic meal with friends or family.
- Read a good book.
- Start a windowsill garden and start growing your own.
- Upcycle an old piece of furniture or make new items from things that would otherwise be thrown away.
- Take up a new hobby such as sewing, knitting, pottery, basketry or woodworking, for example.
- Paint, draw, or make your own unique artworks.
- Play 'old school' board games in your home.
- Have engaging conversations! (Either face to face, or with others online).
- Make your own cleaning or beauty products, candles, or other sustainable products.
- Take up canning and learn other ways to reduce food waste and preserve food.
Sustainable Activities to Enjoy In Your Garden
- Make a new growing area and start growing your own.
- Plant a tree or two.
- Set up a composting system for household food waste and other organic matter.
- Start harvesting rainwater in your garden.
- Make a wildlife pond.
- Or install other eco-friendly wildlife habitats such as bird boxes, feeders, and bee hotels, for example. Plant for wildlife too – sowing bee-friendly flowers, for example.
- Make an outdoors natural gym, or a relaxing yoga spot to keep fit outdoors.
- Cook outdoors – have a fire pit meal, barbecue or meal cooked in a solar oven.
- Dine alfresco.
- Enjoy a spot of stargazing after dark.
Sustainable Activities to Enjoy in Your Local Area
- Go for a nature hike to a local beauty spot. (Perhaps you can take some food and reusable picnic items and have a picnic once you reach your destination too.)
- Head out on your bike.
- Kayak, canoe or sail on local waters.
- Enjoy some wild swimming.
- Get out on horseback for a trek.
- Visit a local farm, pick-your own facility or farm shop.
- Spend some time at a local farmer's market.
- Go antiquing and pick up some pre-loved, vintage gems for your home.
- Explore local museums – there may even be free museums to enjoy.
- Camp out under the stars in a beautiful, natural location close to home.
These are just a few examples of the many sustainable ways to have a good time. There are plenty of sustainable activities to choose from, whatever you like to do.