Vegan Salted Caramel Carrot Cupcakes
Soft and moist carrot cakes topped with coconut cream frosting. The perfect mix of sweet, salty, and healthy!
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 ½ tbsp flaxseed meal (to make flax eggs)
- 4 tbsp water (to make flax eggs)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup mashed very ripe banana
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Coconut Cream Frosting
- 1 can coconut cream - minimum 30% fat, top thick part of the can (14 oz).
- ½ cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Before baking, place the can of coconut cream and mixing bowl in the fridge.
- Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl by mixing flaxseed meal and water and let rest for a few minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a muffin baking pan with reusable baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix wet ingredients: flax eggs, carrots, banana, and oil.
- In another bowl, mix dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Fold the dry and wet ingredients together. Add in the walnuts.
- Divide the batter evenly among the cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool down on a rack completely before adding any frosting.
Once the muffins have cooled
- Open the can and carefully scoop out the thick hard part that appears on top of the can. Leave all the water at the bottom of the can.
- Whip the cream, powder sweetener, and vanilla in the refrigerated bowl at high speed until it becomes light and fluffy.
- Drizzle some caramel topping over each cupcake and sprinkle some coarse salt.
Let us know what you think of this recipe!